Wednesday 14 March 2018

#workbenchWednesday 14/03/18

Woo, actually on time this week.  Won't be a huge amount to say, as I didn't update until the weekend, but still a lot of stuff done.

Currently, the workbench looks like this -


1pt of Norman Levy. 

Just the unit of Levy for SAGA taking up space right now.  I've finished all the base coats, washed them, and done 2 layers on the blue tunics and one on the grey, caught the feathers at the same time.  I don't think I'll take them up to pure white as they are the lowest rank of troops in the army, and I kinda want them to keep a more stealthy look.   Well, as stealthy as ou can be wearing a blue sack cloth...

I managed to get both my Mounted Heathguard units and the Mounted Warlord finished up on Sunday, which means I can now play a proper 6pt game of SAGA fully painted.  Feels good.  It also means I've painted 3pts this year, meaning that once the Levy are done, I'll have the minimum 4pts painted that I was aiming for this year.  I do want to add Crossbow armed Warriors at some point, and probably another unit of Warriors, which means the 3x8 for SAGA will be 2x12 for Dragon/Lion Rampant.  Still not sure what to do with the shields.  Not a fan of the "busy" historic ones, but I don't want to leave them plain either.  Doesn't help that some are flat and some have bosses...

Also, 10 weeks straight #hobbystreak!

Charge of the Knight Brigade


Full army so far.  7pts plus Warlord options.


Monday was getting the blue done on the tunics of the Levy, followed by an introductory game of Osprey's Gaslands at the club with another new opponent, Richard.  We started off easy with 2 vehicles each, one standard and one performance car, with machine guns by way of armament.

The "easy" start went straight out the window as we were blowing holes and ramming each other before we hit the first corner.  My standard car suffered an ignoble defeat, sliding off the edge of the table recovering from a ram, whilst my performance car managed to rear end Richard's, causing it to flip, and ultimately blow up, whilst I careened off the track, straight through a barricade, before getting back on the blacktop.  Things looked bad, as I was accruing hazard tokens and damage like nobodies business, however, I kept pushing as I didn't want to stay in range of Richard's Machine Gun.

He pushed his car to catch up with me, resulting in a slide that left him careening off the road straight to the table edge.  His speed meant he couldn't really recover before crashing out, much like my car had done earlier.

We carried on playing, as my performance car was limping along with one damage box remaining, and was still loaded up with hazard tokens.  I made it through the last corner, and gunned the engine to hit the finish line before the end of the turn.  Eyeballing the templates, and it looked like, even with a good run, I wouldn't fully cross the line, but, a fortuitous roll meant that I actually performed a Slide manoeuvre over the line as I filled up to 6 hazards.  Talk about finishing in style!


Pole Position Posing!


I definitely had fun and will have to check at work for some suitable vehicles to paint up my own crew.  It also put me to my planned 3 new games/editions, and halfway to my 6 new opponents for the year.  Chatting after the game, we spoke about the various Osprey rules, and having mentioned that my painted Frostgrave warband has been done for over 2 years and still hasn't seen a tabletop, we've arranged to play that next week.  Still got Malifaux and Hordes of the Things to play too, so well covered that part of my #hobbyresolution2018.


Tuesday was doing the grey on the Levy tunic's and a bunch of event co-ordination for APRIL FUEL DAZE 2!  Just getting prize support sorted and up people to submit their Factions/Lists.   Going well so far, we have prizes in from Games & Gears and stuff coming from Green Stuff World.  Still waiting to hear back from a bunch more places too.  I've also got the orders in for the event dice and Best in Faction trophies, and Best Painted Army Award.


So far today, it's been answering emails, and making a start on the player goody bags, also have the kids over, so hoping to sneak in some painting once they are asleep.


That's it for now then, see you in a week.  Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment