Tuesday 31 March 2020

Month in Review - March 2020

Well, it's been a month alright.  Not entirely sure if it has gone insanely fast or insanely slow though.  I am officially off work until further notice, so, currently on 16 days worked and 6 off...
So, what's been happening?

Well, since starting the new job I found myself with a lot more energy, despite working more days than I did before, and was managing to get a couple of hours of hobbying done each afternoon.
It's getting full in here...

I managed to get the Stonecast I posted about on Sunday based up for my #talesofinstahammer2020 army done, so that was 5 Sequitors, and a Knight-Venator, along with 3 Prosecutors and the Farstriders to tie in with the fast moving theme.


Sequitors (Stormcast Eternals, Age of Sigmar, Games Workshop)

Knight-Venator (Stormcast Eternals, Age of Sigmar, Games Workshop)

Prosecutors (Stormcast Eternals, Age of Sigmar, Games Workshop)
The Farstriders (Stormcast Eternals, Warhammer Underworlds, Games Workshop)

Not content with just knocking out the Farstriders, double dipping with one of my #hobbyresolutions I turned my attention to more Warhammer Underworlds warbands and ended up painting not one, not two, but six more in a flurry of brushes.  Hey, I needed something to occupy me from basing Stonecast and I'm at 98% total completion on Red Dead 2...



It is also getting limited on space in here...

The first couple of additional warbands I tackled were the Chosen Axes (Dwarf Fyreslayers) and Zarbag's Gitz (Night Goblins).  The main reason for choosing them were I was going to use the Gitz as a test scheme for the Night Goblin army I am planning to paint up for SAGA/Dragon Rampant, and the Chosen Axes were one of the smaller warbands to offset the 9 assorted Goblins and Squigs.  Painting was mostly Contrast paint, with Army Painter metals, and in the case of the Chosen Axes, an all over wash of Strong Tone.  Between skin and beard/hair, most of the work on the Axes was done with 2 colours.  I really like how the Chosen Axes turned out, and, being quick and relatively painless to do, I think I might use the same technique for painting up board game pieces.



The Chosen Axes (Warhammer Underworlds, Games Workshop)


Zarbag's Gitz (Warhammer Underworlds, Games Workshop)

I finished both of these up last Monday, and, whilst finding out what was happening with work, figured I'd start another couple of warbands.  I settled on Grashrak's Ravagers (Beastmen) and Skaeth's Wild Hunt (Wood Elves) as they were both primed bone and were the two from the latest box.  I managed to get the flesh and hair on them before sleeping, and with no work on Tuesday, finished them off over the day (less than 24hrs after starting them).



Grashrak's Ravagers (Warhammer Underworlds, Games Workshop)


Skaeth's Wild Hunt (Warhammer Underworlds, Games Workshop)




Not one to rest on my laurels (or...  not having the motivation to start basing my Stonecast) I moved on to Ylthari's Guardians (Tree Spirits) because, again, small warband, and knocked them out pretty quickly too.  I went with a different style and colour on each of them, as, I didn't like the green I used on the first one and didn't want to repeat it.



Finally, I grabbed the Thorns of the Briar Queen (Ghosts) as I'd made a start on them before trying out some transparent paints, and it would get them off the sidelines and into the cabinet.  Again, pretty quick job, couple of coats of blue, did the metal, hit it with Typhus Corrossion and Rhyza Rust Technical paints, quick highlight, job done.

Ylthari's Guardians (Warhammer Underworlds, Games Workshop)



Thorns of the Briar Queen (Warhammer Underworlds, Games Workshop)




Rather than starting a new project today, I contented myself with getting a Strong Tone wash on the remaining Stonecast that I'll be working on over the next 3 months, then giving my workstation a good clean and changing my paint water and cleaning my tile off.




Now, onto the non-painting side of things.  Hmmmmm, bit of a scunner there.  All games and shows cancelled or postponed until further notice...  Had planned on going down to Chillcon in Sheffield but it was called off at the last minute, and all the games I had arranged are going to have to be rescheduled for when we are allowed out to play again.  At least I've kept up to date on the blog posts.  If this continues I might have to consider transferring more paint over when I run out of minis to paint...

 
Task Completed
Fully Paint Grymkin (HORDES)
0%
Tales of Instahammer (Stonecast Eternals) 8 67%
Paint 6pts Saga Age of Vikings army
0%
Paint 6pts Saga Age of Crusades army
0%
Paint 8pts Saga Age of Magic army – Vikings
0%
Paint 8pts Saga Age of Magic army – Goblins
0%
Paint Shadespire Warbands 9 45%
Paint 2000pt Warmaster army
0%
Paint Osprey Wargames forces
0%



Play 52 Games 7 13%
Play 10 new opponents 4 40%
Play 10 Boardgames
0%
Run a gaming event/session.
0%



Maintain blog with monthly posts 3 25%
Write 1 extra blog post per month (BatRep, tutorial, review etc) 3 25%
Transfer flip top paints to dropper bottles
0%
Go to 4 shows or conventions 1 25%

4.90%

Next up, I'm planning on tackling another big unit of Sequitors and Castigators for the Hold the Line task for Tales of Instahammer, and a couple more Underworlds warbands.  I was going to do the Cursebreakers, but I'll leave them until May for the Magic challenge.  I might have also ordered a few things online just incase...  so they might make an appearance.


Stay safe people, keep your hands clean and your brushes dirty.

Cheers,

John















2 comments:

  1. Great stuff - loads of progress there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers dude. This month totally eclipses it so far though.

      Delete