Wednesday 19 December 2018

#workbenchWednesday 19/12/18

Back again with another update.  Been a busy week, so let's crack on, right?



It might look like not much has changed, but they have red trousers now...

In a move designed to shock and confuse everyone that has been following up to this point, I actually applied some paint to the Butcher's seeing as they are closing in on 2 years sat on my desk...  Just blocked in the trousers for now, as I've been working away at other stuff.  Spent some time tidying up the primer on the Grymkin stuff too, so that they are ready to go next year, and did a little bit of work on the Reaper Faery Familiar.

None more black.

Gaming wise, knocked out a few more games of Shadespire.  Orruks into Skaven down the length of the board isn't fun...  and took my Oni out for their inaugural battle at the club before it wrapped up for Christmas.   Sadly the Oni failed to penetrate the Sacred Grove and huckle out the Shinto Priest and his secret Wasabi sauce recipe, and were almost cut down in their entirety by a bunch of marauding Monks...  The Oni Mage was the star of the show, dispatching 4 Orange robed riflemen and archers before disappearing in a puff of smoke (AKA I had to leave for work).  My Oni Lord performed exactly as newly painted models do the first time you put them on the table, by fumbling his attack 3 times in combat before being bludgeoned into the Otherworld with a Masterwork Yari...

Note to self - Reaper Bones = rubber weapons...
Magic?  I just made half your war party "disappear"  


So, after that poor performance, I'm glad I'd already ordered some reinforcements for the warband, in the form of the other 2 Bones Ogre sculpts.  A website error resulted in me getting another 2 of the same sculpt I already had, but they've been returned to get the correct one.  The massive Giant is for Blood Eagle.

It might look like a big sword, but it is bent more like a massive boomerang...

On the subject of games room acquisitions, I've picked up a few things recently when Xmas shopping. I grabbed the Saga books I needed from Footsore Miniatures  because paying RRP is offset by the free figures.  The Irish Warlord was missing, but hey, it's Christmas and it's busy, so no big deal, it is getting sorted.

Fantasy proxy Crusades army incoming.

Not sure what Faction I want to paint up for the Crusades, I have a pile of Fireforge Games Mongols still in the packaging, although, a quick scan shows them as mercenary options...  I'll have to go over the book in more depth.  I wouldn't mind painting up something that would also allow me to play Outremer:Faith and Blood, getting more double duty out of models.  Along with the free figures that came with the books, I also picked up another shaman, the blood eagle piece and Lady Guinevere.  The Shaman will be getting changed up slightly to be used as a Necromancer, and the blood eagle will be an objective for SAGA.


In keeping with using lipped bases whenever possible, I picked up the 50 and 60mm oblong bases from Fenris Games as I wanted to see how the cavalry looked on them.  The 50's were useless as they aren't lipped, but the 60's are great, essentially, 2 30mm rounds together with the gap filled.  I also picked up some Runestones for Objectives/Basing and a War Griffon Druid, she's 54mm scale, but should be perfect for a Norse Goddess in 28mm for Of Gods and Mortals.  

On the subject of 28mm Norse, I dug out a pile of Wargames Foundry Vikings that I've owned since...   pfft...  errr.... the very early 2000's if not earlier, with a view to doing a Jomsviking force for SAGA, that will also give me a selection of models to use in OGAM and Blood Eagle.  Although Jomsvikings have a 3 star difficulty rating, I can go Hearthguard heavy and have 6pts done in 25 models.  Or be really lazy and add a legend and priest and do it in 18.  I've sorted out the models to do a Warlord and Priest, 6pts of Hearthguard ( 2 with Great Weapons), a standard Warrior unit, and a unit of Berserkers if I want to use them as basic Vikings.  Plus they look awesome.  Threw in a Standard and Musician too, not necessarily for SAGA, but I might as well get them done to give me options for other games.  I've tried to use as many of the chain-mail armoured bodies as possible to represent the Hearthguard, I have a feeling there are even more hidden in the loft, because I couldn't find the massive Viking hero I was looking for.  As far as shields go, the plan is to use the embossed ones on the Hearthguard, the split ones on Warriors, and the blank ones for Levy.  It's maybe a bit too uniform to be historically accurate, but it will help tell them apart on the tabletop.  I've owned these minis for about half my life, it is really time to get some of them painted.

4 Hearthguard units (2 sword/2 axe per unit)
2 Hearthguard units (great weapon) Warlord and Priest.
Berserker Hearthguard, Surplus Command, Warrior unit (4 sword/4 axe)


The final purchase was a Fox Ranger, Bat and terrain piece from Oathsworn Miniatures , as I'm tempted by both Burrows & Badgers (which I have the rules for) and Rangers of Shadowdeep (which I don't) but it is pretty much Shadows of Mordor from what I gather.

I can probably just paint her as a Wolf, right?

Finally, here's the image of my most liked pictures from Instagram over the course of the year.  Nice to see a bit of a mix of things, rather than just everything being the same.



So that's it for now,  Merry Christmas when it comes, and I'll be back next week.


Cheers,

John

2 comments:

  1. Nice choice on the Footsore models. I love their stuff. Pretty jealous of the SAGA rule set. It one of those games that I keep meaning to check out but talk myself down when I see cool new models and waste my money on them and not rule sets :) . I'll be super jealous of your Irish warband if you manage to get them all painted. I have a Saxon force but never got further than the test models by the time I moved out of a Dark Age head space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm torn with Footsore, one one hand they are gorgeous, on the other they are possibly a bit too fine for my cartoony style. A tenner for the basic rules of SAGA is great, and getting 8 army lists plus merc options and other stuff in each sourcebook for the price of most other rule books is value. As far as an Irish Warband goes, I have the free Chieftain at the moment but that's it. I'll probably pick up some hounds at some point though.

      Delete