Wednesday 1 January 2020

2020 Hobby Resolutions

You wait ages for an update then 2 come along in quick succession...




Time to set out my #hobbyresolutions2020 plans then, and maybe talk a little bit about general hobby plans for the future too.  Same plan as normal, some painting, some gaming and some hobby challenges, not that I think I'll finish them all, but it is something to try and focus me.

Painting Resolutions


1.  Continue to work towards Grymkin being fully painted (HORDES)



Let's start the ball rolling with a returning challenge.  I've worked away at these over the last 2 years, and having picked up a huge KR Multicase bag at Carronade last year, and a couple of new card cases to start filling it over Christmas, I'm starting to see the light at te end of the tunnel.

I currently have 41 models to do for this to fully paint my backlog, I already have all the Warlocks painted, along with 2+ of every Warbeast, most of the solos and units and a Battle Engine.  The 41 remaining models will fill out all the Solos and Units to maximum Field Allowance.  From there the only things I am missing will be a 2nd Deathknell (questionable) and the Oblivion releases, although they aren't strictly speaking Grymkin models.  At a very minimum, I'd like to finish at least one Grave Ghoul, Piggyback Officer and unit of Murder Crows (8 miniatures total) to give me at least 1 of every single army option fully painted.


2.  Complete the Tales of Instahammer challenge (Age of Sigmar)



I felt really bad dropping from this last year, especially when I had made such a strong start, so, I'm determined to do better this year.  I'm going for a more modest army this time around, Stormcast Eternals, or, Stonecast Eternals in this case seeing as I am painting them as overgrown animated statues rather than suits of armour.  Any excuse to glue clump foliage to stuff, right?  The scheme is surprisingly simple, and only takes a little bit of work to "dirty" up the sculpts before priming.  My planned force is 54 models strong, and I have put together 50 so far.  The final 4 are all ordered, then it is just a case of going over them all, clipping and trimming sharp edges, and gluing sand in all their nooks and crannies.  There is a 6 month outline for the TOIH challenge, so I'll follow that as much as I am able, but do have a few models that aren't in the list in my backlog I might be able to add to match the criteria.  My test model went down a storm, so I'm really excited for this one.

3.  Paint 6+ points for Age of Vikings (SAGA)



So, after painting up the Jomsvikings last year (and even getting them on the table a few times), I really ignited my lifelong interest for Viking style miniatures.  So I bought a lot, because the 200ish Foundry ones in the backlog weren't enough obviously.  The plan for this is to do a full SAGA force using only Footsore Miniatures models, as I have now finished buying up the entire range.  My plan is to paint 7 points because the Berserkers are only usable in a "standard" viking build, I'm planning another unit of Hearthguard to replace them to run as some of the other lists.  Plan is to do the Warlord and Banner pack for my Warlord, Berserkers and 2 units of Hearthguard (12 models so a handy Lion/Dragon Rampant unit), 3 units of Warriors using the 6 Bondi packs (another 24 models or 2 L/DR units) and a point of Levy with Bows usng the 3 archer packs (handily, also 12 models).  That gives me a planned 50 models that not only covers multiple Age of Vikings forces, but should give me options for more Dark Age style gaming.

4.  Paint 6 points for Age of Crusades (SAGA)



Seeing as I have a couple of armies I can use for Age of Vikings (Normans/Jomsvikings) I figured I'd paint up a force for each of the Era books.  Looking at Age of Crusades, my immediate though was Ordenstaat because I've wanted an excuse to pick up some of the Crusader Miniatures Teutonics for a while now.  So, I treated myself to a small force for Christmas that should allow me to do at least 6 points, along with a couple of extra packs to build the force up, and also allow me to run a heavily armoured Lion Rampant historical force.  Planned list is 33 models, very Hearthguard heavy because those are the figures that really drew me in, and like my Jomsvikings, going elite heavy means less painting before I have a playable (not good, just playable) force.

5.  Paint 8 points for Age of Magic (SAGA)



Yet another SAGA force, and the first on the list to come from a variety of manufacturers.  I'm mainly going with Wargames Foundry for this, to continue chipping away at my Viking leadpile, and as I had already assembled and primed some units for Of Gods & Mortals last year.  Jury is still out on what I'm using as Creatures in the list, the choice being either Foundry's Great Big Bellicose Bears or Ral Partha Europe's Trolls, seeing as both fit the Norse theme to my mind.  I've also got the fantastic MOMminiatures Giant raring to give some height to the list.  This is also the first thing on my project list that isn't all purchased/planned out, as I'm hoping to add some cavalry to it, but that will involve buying a few more packs of Vikings.  46 models total at this point in time.

6.  Paint another 8 points for Age of Magic (SAGA)



So, although I was always known for playing Chaos in it's various guises across the Warhammer systems in my Games Workshop days, Goblins were the first army I ever collected when I originally got into the game with the 4th edition starter (shout out to Julien, wherever he may be, for swapping me his for my High Elves) and I still have a couple of sets of the Battle for Skull Pass models sitting untouched.  This challenge is more a test of Contrast paints, they've worked great on 15mm figures, so I want to see if I can knock out a full 28mm scale army with them too.  I mean, I'm also looking for an excuse to pick up some of the newer releases, so there's that...  but it is mainly going to be a footslogging army made up of Warrior units.  Another 62 models.

7.  Paint a lot of Warbands (Warhammer Underworlds )



So it seems to be tradition now that I get the latest Underworlds box set from Sarah each Christmas, so that immediately adds another couple of warbands to the total.  Couple that with the fact the Season One models (Shadespire) were discontinued last year (frantic purchases indeed) and it is a quick game to play, I want to flesh out how many Warbands I have access to.  Currently I have the Orruks and Sepulchral Guard painted, with another 6 primed and 6 awaiting assembly.  Having figured I'll be painting Stonecast Eternals for the Tales of Instahammer challenge, I at least want to paint up the 3 SCE Warbands in a similar style, and I'm sure I can manage a few more.  I'm missing 6 or 8 of the warbands depending on how you count them, but I do actually have the models for 2 of them from the easy to build kits, although I put the Banshees on 40mm lipped bases...  In total, another 96 models to paint the entire range, although, I'd need to buy the last few sets.


8.  Paint 2000 point Ogre army (Warmaster)



Another project based on the Black Gate Miniatures minis I've had my eye on for a while.  I reckon I've mentioned it enough now, that Sarah downsized my 15mm advent calendar to 10mm last year and I ended up with a selection of units to start this off.  It didn't quite match up to my planned list, but she graciously offered to pick up the remainder, although I told her it can wait until my birthday seeing as I have plenty to be getting on with.  Very Ogre heavy list, like how I played them in Warhammer, no Gnoblars required, with a couple of units of Rhinox Riders to eat up points.  40 bases in total to add to the tally.

Gaming Resolutions

9.  Play 52 Games



Pretty simple, averages out to 1 a week.  It is less than previous years, but I don't really have any tournaments planned, and I'm taking into account Sarah's new work schedule, and the college course I'm on (Woodworking) where 2 games a week wasn't really attainable between our work/family/commission commitments. 


10.  Play 10 new opponents.



Bumped this up from last year because I managed it.  I am hoping to get back to more gaming, and as the variety of things I'm getting fully painted grows, it opens up my options.  There are still plenty of folk at the club I have yet to game with, so I'm hoping between that and some pick up games I can hit this one.  I need to make more of an effort to be more sociable in any case.


11.  Play 10 Boardgames.



Pushed this one up too, despite not hitting it last year.  I've built up a few games now, mainly via Kickstarter, and while I don't imagine Rivals or Torn Armour will ever materialize, I don't hae any outstanding.  I'm OK with playing unpainted boardgames, although I still prefer miniatures over tokens, and want to get them painted,although I'm on the fence about doing them in my own style, or just washing/Contrast painting them.  Underworlds is a given here, and I want to get Blood Rage back out, as well as try Zombicide with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle packs I picked up last year, and I still have to get Rising Sun bloodied.


12.  Run 4 gaming sessions.



This averages out to one per quarter, but might rquire planning and all come in quick succession.  I've mentioned a few times now how John Ewing, a fellow Falkirk District Wargames Club member, very kindly puts on games, and supplies not only all the painted figures and terrain, but handouts, faction specific missions, and generally umpires the game for others.  It is very much something I'd like to do, and I'd be especially happy if I could involve him as a player by way of thanks, along with a few other guys from the club.  I'm thinking I want to run Blood Eagle from the Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare, as there is a good selection of warbands and scenarios to run a small saga campaign.  Definitely something that needs planned out though.


Hobby Resolutions.


13.  Do a Month in Review post every month.



Simple really.  Just to keep everyone (all 16 of you) up to date with what I'm up to.


14.  Write at least one other blog post a month.



Either a #workbenchWednesday post or article would be fine.  I'd like to do more articles, but it is finding the time.  Maybe some reviews, or, if I can get the gaming sessions sorted, some sort of write-up/AAR about how that went.

15.  Transfer paints to dropper bottles.



Ah, this old chestnut.  Included for tradition more than anything else.  I'm going to push to at least finish off the GW range this year.


16.  Go to 4 Shows or Conventions.



Same as this year.  Get out the house.  Spend some money.  See some people/cool things. 




 As far as the blog/my hobby is concerned, along with the above #hobbyresolutions, I am going to be giving some thought to the following.

1.  Cut back on buying loads of new miniatures.

I'm giving myself leeway here, as long as I finish the year having painted or sold more miniatures than I've added to the backlog.  I'm not counting anything that is already paid for/ordered, only purchases made in 2020.  What I need to do before buying anything is ask myself if it falls under the category of Dark Age Fantasy, like, models I can use for Blood Eagle/SAGA/Lord of the Rings style gaming.  Yes, it is a broad category, but it is my general area of interest these days.  I'll also allow myself to pick up some stuff to finish off the projects for this year, Underworlds warbands, 10mm Ogres etc, and probably do some shopping at the tail end of the year for next years projects.

2.  Sort out my website.

So... transitioning the site over to the new google sites, I lost it.  I don't have access to the email that had my domain registration details so I just get a 404 now.  Bugger...  I might have to start from scratch with a .com address.

3.  Continue with Project: Shieldwall

Paint Vikings.  Easy enough right, especially as I have some planned.

4.  Catalogue the Lead Pile.

Yeah, crazy business I know.  Part of me says this is a really bad idea, because knowing the actual number will induce analysis paralysis, or just be so overwhelmingly large that it kills any enthusiasm I have, but part of me thinks if I know exactly what I have, and in what numbers, not only do I get to colour in boxes on XL, but I can make more informed decisions about what I can get rid of.  I know I have too many figures, I just never seem to have enough for what I want to be working on.  I'm pretty sure I can break this down into smaller chunks depending on where the miniatures are at the moment.  The vast majority of stuff in cabinets is already painted, I have a bookshelf near my desk with primed models to hand for working on next, and a small set of drawers for models I need to assemble for whatever projects I have for the year.  I have another bookcase full of drawers for various things, then 5 cabinets above the display cases.  Then just add everything else in the games room/hall/living room and attic...

5.  Start working on Osprey blue book forces.

So I've kept on top of buying these up as they are released and I want to try and paint up at least one force for every title.  Using a combination of models already painted and stuff I have planned for this year, I'm going to start tracking my progress.


So, that is, going by the spreadsheet, a grand total of 997 various miniatures/tasks to be completed, so, to add to that, I'd like to have painted forces for at least 3 different Osprey blue books and that gives me a grand total of 1000 things to tick off the list.


After that big wall of text, all that remains to be said is I wish you all a happy and healthy 2020 and may you end the year with as much hobby enthusiasm as you started it.

All the best,

John



4 comments:

  1. That is a huge amount of Painting John - past history would suggest that you will make big inroads into your list.

    We have stil yet to play so I am happy to be one of your new opponebts for 2020

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I hope I can get a lot of it done.

      And yeah, sounds good. Hopefully can get my Monday situation sorted soon.

      Delete
  2. Great resolutions! I'm embarking on the daunting task of cataloguing my pile of lead *gulp* Look forward to seeing your posts throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, good luck with your count, it's not a task I'm going to embark on lightly...

      Delete