Monday 1 January 2018

2018 Hobby Resolutions

 Happy New Year folks, here's to a prosperous and productive 12 months ahead.  I'm going to take some time to go over my Hobby Resolutions for the year, and explain why I've picked them.  I'm gonna deviate slightly from last year, as I really want to try and limit my hobby spending this year, so I am considering a reward system, where I set out some sort of incentive for finishing each task.  Chances are I'll completely ignore it, but I at least want to try.

1 - Transfer my flip-top paint collection to dropper bottles. (0/491)

Resolution - A continuation from last year, I managed to do all the GW Base paints and Washes, and figured out a set-up that allowed me to do about 9 paints at a time.  The washes were easy, the base paints took slightly longer due to consistency.  I'm hoping the layer paints are a bit quicker.  It's a lot of paint to get through, but it does include the remainder of the newest GW line, almost the entire Foundry line (missing one of the discontinued WWII sets) and the original P3 line.  I guess taking the time to do a few sets of 9 every time I have a spare day will help to chip away at it.   Even if I can't get through it all I'd like to at least clear the GW ones, and ideally the P3 too.  

Reward - some new paints.  I figure that if I do either of the GW or P3 lines I'll grab another set of Scale75 paints to fill out the collection.  If I do both, I'll get two.   If by some Herculean effort I clear the Foundry ones, well, I reckon that's worth two sets in itself.


2 - Organise and run a two day Warmahordes event, (0/1)

Resolution - Run April Fuel Daze again.  For my first big solo two day event, things went surprisingly smoothly, and it was definitely well received.  The fact that it was the largest two day event in Scotland for WarmaHordes last year was also a nice bonus.  I'd like to make it part of the WMH event calendar if at all possible, and would be aiming to up the places from 24 to 48.
Reward - Attend a two day event as a player.  It's good to let someone else call the shots once in a while, and I enjoy travelling to events and meeting up with folk I don't get to see that often.


3 - Make £500 selling old models. (0/500)

Resolution - Like most gamers, I have an insurmountable amount of tat lying about collecting dust, and like most gamers, I've always told myself that I'll get around to it some day.  The thing is, as I'm mostly about the aesthetics, most of the minis I've bought are because they look cool and I really do want to paint them.  Listing stuff for sale and dealing with the inevitable bargain hunting can you dig out one model from a collection of thousands for a pound just isn't worth the time or effort  (people, gah)  One of my main barriers to productivity ( after video games) is just the sheer amount of stuff sitting about to get around to.  Clearing some of that will hopefully clear my mind a little.
Reward - I guess the reward is doing this, I get £500 cash and free up some space.   Less clutter equals less distraction.

4 - Maintain the Blog with weekly and monthly updates. (0/52 and 0/12)

Resolution - Do a #workbenchwednesday post each week and a monthly update.   I always have the best intentions when it comes to blogging, but always seem to peter out after a few posts.  This year I want to try and break that by providing regular updates.  It's kinda hard to stay accountable to a general readership of 0, so, hopefully by posting more regularly, this blog will pick up some followers and I'll actually need to work at entertaining them.
Reward - No idea.  She says get a new laptop.


5 - Go to 2 Gaming Shows or Conventions. (0/2)

Resolution - Get out the house and go to a couple of shows, ideally including one of the Scottish ones this year.  I missed them due to being out of the country for various WarmaHordes events last year, so would be good to get back to them and see the familiar faces.  Outside of Scotland, I try to get to York with the club as it's a good day out, and there is a bit more variety in traders.
Reward - Again, no idea.


6 - Play 6 New Opponents. (0/6)

Resolution - Play a game against (or including) someone I've never played before.   A repeat of last year, but it worked well, and, well, I guess it helps me feel a bit less anti-social than I can be due to nightshift.
Reward - No idea.


7 - Play 100 Games (0/100)

Resolution - Play a total of 100 games across miniature and board games.  It's a big part of the reason why we paint these things so I'm told, so I guess it makes sense.
Reward - No idea.  Not sure these rewards are gonna be any sort of incentive...


8 - Play 6 different Board Games. (0/6)

Resolution - Again, a repeat of last year.  Still, have to put those kickstarted dollars to good use.  With any luck Rivals will eventually turn up this year (not holding my breath for Torn Armor) and Rising Sun is due to be delivered.  I've still got to get around to trying out all the Undead for Runewars V2.  I can see Blood Rage and Chaos in the Old World being pulled out again.
Reward - Pick up an expansion for one of my boardgames.


9 - Play 3 New Games or New Editions of Rules (0/3)


Resolution -  The past couple of years it has pretty much been 99.9% WarmaHordes when it comes to playing miniature games.  I haven't played 40k since maybe...  2004?  And I have umpteen sets of rules that have been updated without ever being played.  Plus there are new games coming out all the time, so this challenge should be relatively easy.  Seeing as I put the Deathguard together and got them painted, I figure the new 40k should be one of the games I play, and Saga has a 2nd edition coming out too, so that will probably make the list.  Malifaux, once I get the starter done would make up the 3rd.
Reward - Buy a new rulebook (and try to have models painted and playable before it is obsolete)


10 - Paint 4pts of Normans for SAGA. (0/4pts, 0/28 models)

Resolution - Paint at least another 2pts of Normans to give me a 6pt force, and aim for 4 to give me some options.  I currently have 8 Mounted Hearthguard (2pts) and 8 Warriors with Crossbows (1pt) part done from last year, and put together 12 Levy (1pt) the other day, along with a mounted Warlord and a...  well, I don't know, objective marker of some sort using one of the casualty figures from the sprue.  Can't find the dead horse in my bits though...  I'd probably throw in another unit of Warriors to this lot, as that would, over 3 units, give me the 24 models to run 2 units in Lion or Dragon Rampant, and having had a brief look, should be, with these new additions, enough to play a game.
Reward - Pick up the SAGA 2nd Edition rules.


11 - Maintain Butcher's Guild being fully painted. (0/3 Models)

Resolution - Get the last 3 (current) models built and painted.  It's 3 models.  One of them is a single piece.  And it means my Guild is fully painted and I can maybe look at starting one of the other ones in the backlog.
Reward - Pick up the Guildball Terrain pack from SFG.  It'll make a change from flat mdf that I use for Warmahordes.


12 - Paint remaining Deathguard for Warhammer 40,000 (0/49 Models)


Resolution - This one is more for her benefit as she's keen to play, to the point that when she picked up the latest edition, she swapped out the Primaris Marines for more Deathguard and immediately gave them to me so that I'd have an army.  I managed to get one box worth finished last year, and have the 2nd to work through, alongside a few extras like Deathshroud Terminators, some of the Easy to build kits and the Limited Set, plus a donated monopose Hellbrute and the Nurgle Daemon Prince from when it first made the transition to Finecast.
Reward - Probably pick up a Plagueburst Crawler as a nice centrepiece model (I would have said Mortarion, but I'll save him for when I have a much larger force)


13 - Paint Waiqar half of Runewars Miniatures Game Starter (0/26 Models)


Resolution - Picked this up last year to split with her because I loved the models (part due to Battlelore V2) and got started on it, but that hit a wall.  Steve at CGG is trying to get it up and running again, so I figure might as well get it tableworthy.
Reward - I'll probably pick up the Waiqar Infantry Command Unit Expansion, or, if I can find one cheap, a 2nd Core box.


14 - Paint a 15mm Hordes of the Things Army (0/14 Elements)


Resolution - It's one of those games that has been on my radar, probably because of the amount of older grumpier gamers that wax lyrical about it, although the cover kills it for me because it looks so 70's...  but it gets rolled out at the club every now and then, so, I figure it might be something to get me playing people outside my usual group, and knock some of the huge 15mm backlog down.
Reward - No idea.


15 - Paint a 75pt Warmahordes List (0/? Models)


Resolution - I already have plenty of Circle and Minions table ready (I mean, I still have huge backlogs of both, but...) Recently I made up a 2 list competitive (for me) pairing for all 13 Factions, and spent the last of my PG points picking up the models I needed to complete the Legion and Grymkin pairs, along with one of the Trollblood ones.  I am close to having everything for the Retribution, Minions and Circle lists.  I also came into possession of the new Trencher army box for Cygnar...  I guess it would be nice to paint up a real Warmachine faction after playing Hordes exclusively (demo games aside) for a few years, but I think Cryx or Khador is more my style.  So, contenders are Cygnar, Grymkin, or the Blindwater side of Minions.
Reward - This is a weird one, because the reward is gonna be part of the project.  Depending on what I choose, I'm either going to need to pick up a few more models to finish a planned list, or a bunch or resin bases, so, once I've chosen, I'll work on what I have and then pick up the models/bases as required to finish the list.

16 - Paint the Hog Wild Malifaux box (0/6 Models)


Resolution - It always comes back to pigs doesn't it?  I picked these up mainly for the boars for the Marcus box I had, however, I reckon they'll be more fun to do.  Not to mention quicker.
Reward - No idea.  A new Malifaux model?  




So yeah, that wraps up the 2018 Hobby Resolutions, I'm off to write some spreadsheets and colour in boxes.

9 comments:

  1. Ambitious as it should be! Best of Luck in 2018 and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon, same to you mate. May your dice be hot and your brushes productive.

      Delete
  2. A game of HOTT would be good John and as I don't think that we have ever had a game it would hit 2 of your resolutions 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Dave. Can you cope with 15mm though? :p Failing that, I also have my Frostgrave Warband to blood, as well as numerous other things. Also, based on your goals, feel free to arrange a visit to my man-cave for a game to give you a new gaming location.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the offer John. I do have one army that I have used for 15mm so that would be good. I could perhaps come over one evening towards the end of the month? A weekend is more difficult but still doable

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the resolutuons there, certainly enough to keep you entertauned 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rory. Yeah, it's quite a list. No doubt some will tick over to next year (paint transfer anyone?) and somewill be easy.


      I mean, the ones I've already managed musta been easy, right?

      Delete
  4. Great idea, good luck! I think I may have to co-opt this with some tweaks as my gaming resolutions for 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Dan.

    Did you tweak it then?

    ReplyDelete